Wednesday 17 August 2011

The Colonel's Lady by Laura Frantz

Synopsis:~

In 1779, when genteel Virginia spinster Roxanna Rowan arrives at the Kentucky fort commanded by Colonel Cassius McLinn, she finds that her officer father has died. Penniless and destitute, Roxanna is forced to take her father's place as scrivener. Before long, it's clear that the colonel himself is attracted to her. But she soon realizes the colonel has grave secrets of his own--some of which have to do with her father's sudden death. 

Can she ever truly love him?

My take:~

With resplendent imagery, striking characterisation and eloquent storytelling, Laura Frantz transports readers into eighteenth century frontier Kentucky in the midst of the Revolutionary War with her latest novel. Laura tenderly unveils an unexpected attraction between the imposing Colonel and a gentle yet resilient women resigned to spinsterhood. Their blossoming attraction is tempered by Cass' secret pain and Roxie's self doubt and just when they begin to overcome the fears that haunt them their tenuous romance is shattered, enabling Laura to run the gamut of human emotion. Chronicling the harsh environment of a military outpost, from the austere conditions to the soldiers' hopes and dreams, showcases Laura's commitment to historical accuracy and makes for fascinating reading. Evocative, poignant and joyous, The Colonel's Lady is a story to savour again and again.

With thanks to Revell for my review copy

Available August 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group

Relz Reviewz Extras
Character spotlight on Cassius & Roxanna
Reviews of Courting Morrow Little and The Frontiersman's Daughter
Character spotlight on Lael Click
Character spotlight on Morrow Little
Visit Laura's website and blog
Buy Laura's book at Amazon and Koorong

11 comments:

Keli Gwyn said...

I'm a Laura Frantz fan and am looking forward to reading The Colonel's Lady. I've already seen a number of glowing reviews, such as yours, so I know it's going to be great. =)

Laura Frantz said...

Rel, You always word things so beautifully, leaving me to think, "I wish I'd thought of that." I treasure every word and especially love "evocative, poignant, and joyous." You've outdone yourself, my friend, and I'm so happy you enjoyed the story. It was a joy to write. Bless you for this.

And Keli, you are such an encourager and friend, even from afar! Whenever I see you on the web my heart gives a thankful leap! Can't wait to hold your book in hand.

Scrappy quilter said...

I loved this book too. One of the best I've read. In fact I ordered her other 2 books to read because this one was so good.

Julie Lessman said...

Oh, GROAN!!!!! I have this amazing book on my TBR list, but have several yet before it for review and endorsement purposes, and it's KILLING ME!!! Laura Frantz is one of my ALL-TIME favorite authors!! Thanks for showcasing her, Rel!

Hugs,
Julie

Laura Frantz said...

Oh, Scrappy Quilter,
Music to this author's ears. Thank you for enjoying this book so much that you ordered he first 2. You sure bless me. And you have a beautiful blog, by the way!

Julie,
Oh, you!!! You always say such wonderfully encouraging things!! I have a few now for endorsments, too, so all free reading is a bit moot at the moment. Bless you for stopping here when you're gearing up for your own release!! I'm counting down with you!

Karen Lange said...

Thanks for the review! I am a new Laura Frantz fan; just finished Courting Morrow Little and started on The Frontersman's Daughter. Can't wait to read this new one!

Laura Frantz said...

Karen, So good to meet you at last! I'm aware you're a Kentuckian, too:) I've become familiar with you via the web. Thanks so much for taking time for my books. I'm headed to Kentucky soon but not soon enough. Bless you for your kind words!

Rel said...

Gals ~ love ALL your comments! Thanks for taking the time to encourage both Laura and myself :)

Scrappy Quilter ~ you will adore Laura's other stories. That is one thing I can truly say with confidence!

Karen - thanks for dropping by and for following my blog. I hope you enjoy it!

Julie ~ TCL is worth the wait so enjoy the anticipation! Just like we are all waiting for A Heart Revealed - LOL!

Keli ~ given you love Jody's books I know you will love TCL. I think that Jody and Laura have some things in common with their writing ~ maybe it is their sheer brilliance :)

Laura ~ it is such a pleasure to read your stories and be able to write such glowing reviews given your talent! Thanks for your graciousness and kindness in taking the time to respond to your readers. It never ceases to amaze me!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I loved this one too. As soon as it arrived, I set everything else aside to read it. Here I thought Morrow was my favorite and then I read Roxanne! Laura's ability to draw you in, completely, to the story is amazing.

2 Kids and Tired Books

Ann Shorey said...

I, too, love Laura's books! The Colonel's Lady is at the top of my TBR pile.
What a great review, Rel! Well deserved, I'm quite sure.
(I'm a little late with my comment--I've been out of town and for some reason my laptop wouldn't let me open RelzReviewz. ??)

Laura Frantz said...

Ann, It's so good to see you here - glad you're back in town! I keep dreaming of the day we can do a book signing together down your way. Maybe Bonnie can join us! I've not met her but would love to. She has wonderful devotional posts on her blog. Anyway, bless you for your encouragement and for being a gem of a friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...