Wednesday 26 January 2011

The Thorn by Beverly Lewis

Publisher’s Synopsis:

Spirited Rose Ann Kauffman has long enjoyed a close friendship with the bishop's rebellious foster son. Rose's older sister, Hen--who knows more than she should about falling for the wrong man--cautions her against him, but Rose is being courted by another, and so dismisses the warnings.

Hen Kauffman Orringer's impulsive marriage to an outsider divided her from the People, a decision she regrets now that she has a daughter of her own. As Hen struggles to reclaim aspects of Amish culture, her very modern husband pushes back, and the two soon come to an impasse. Can she find a way to reconcile her longing for the Old Ways with the life she has chosen?

What I thought:

‘The Thorn’ is the first book in Beverly Lewis’ new The Rose Trilogy series. Once again Beverly proves why her books are well respected amongst Amish fiction lovers, with a surprisingly fresh approach from this inventive veteran writer.

Beverly skilfully weaves a tale filled with angst and tension between Rose Ann’s friendship with Nick and Hen’s marriage to an outsider. When I picked up this book I thought I knew what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. This book has turned all my preconceived presumptions upside down and has me eager for more.

Rose Ann is a character who will charm the reader, with her friendly acc
eptance of others and her desire to follow the beliefs she has committed to. But it was Hen that appealed to me. I am intrigued as to how her separation from her modern husband will be developed. I find myself caught somewhere between willing her to compromise and demanding that Brandon back down. There is surely no easy path to travel when caught between two worlds and the life choices made in youthful rebellion.

I am certain that this new series will quickly find its place on the bookshel
ves of those who appreciate the work of Beverly Lewis.

With thanks to Bethany House for Tracy's review copy

Guest reviewer:~ My friend Tracy from Beyond My Picket Fence

Relz Reviewz Extras

Tracy's review of The Secret

Visit Beverly's website

Buy Beverly's books at Amazon or Koorong

3 comments:

Thou Art Jules said...

Sounds great! I've been wanting to read this one for a while.

Linda said...

Glad to hear Beverly has a new series. I cut my teeth on her Amish writing! LOL

Scrappy quilter said...

I found this book really hard to get into the first 50 pages or so. However by the end of the book I felt it was her best series yet. I can't wait now for the second one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...