Tuesday 14 December 2010

The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund

Synopsis:~

In 1650s England, a young Puritan maiden is on a mission to save the baby of her newly widowed preacher--whether her assistance is wanted or not. Always ready to help those in need, Elizabeth ignores John's protests of her aid. She's even willing to risk her lone marriage prospect to help the little family.

Yet Elizabeth's new role as nanny takes a dangerous turn when John's boldness from the pulpit makes him a target of political and religious leaders. As the preacher's enemies become desperate to silence him, they draw Elizabeth into a deadly web of deception. Finding herself in more danger than she ever bargained for, she's more determined than ever to save the child--and man--she's come to love.

My take:~


The Preacher's Bride is a stunning novel of emotional depth, historical detail and overarching hope, its excellence belying its status as author Jody Hedlund's debut novel. Based on the life of evangelist John Bunyan and his faithful wife, Elizabeth, Jody has brought to life a close knit Puritan community, complex and inspiring characters and a story of danger, hope and love. Beautifully rendered, John and Elizabeth's rocky introduction slowly develops into dependency and a burgeoning love that surprises them both. Underlying the love story is the difficult and fascinating history of the Anglican church's battle against the Puritans and their lay preachers. An eye opening story of enduring love and unbending faith, The Preacher's Bride is a keeper and will appeal to readers of Laura Frantz and Liz Curtis Higgs. Jody Hedlund is a brilliant new author whose writing journey I will follow with enthusiasm!

With thanks to Bethany for my review copy

Relz Reviewz Extras

Visit Jody's website and blog

Buy Jody's book at Amazon or Koorong

6 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

I ordered this from my library. I can't wait to read it. Oh for more time to read.

Keli Gwyn said...

What a great review of a great book. I devoured The Preacher's Bride in two sittings, staying up until the wee hours to finish it.

I've been privileged to read Jody's second book, The Doctor's Lady in manuscript form. Her readers are in for another treat when it releases in 2011.

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh, I'm so-o-o glad that you liked it! :-) Thank you for such a wonderful review. It really means so much coming from someone who has a great pulse on the CBA market. You brought a big smile to my face today! :-)

Ann Shorey said...

The Preacher's Bride is a terrific story. I enjoyed all the historical details as well as the love story.

Rel said...

SQ ~ more time to read! Wouldn't that be fabulous :) You will love Jody's book.

Keli ~ great to know Jody isn't going to be a one hit wonder ;-) Not that I thought that for a minute!

Jody ~ thank you for your encouragement :) I so liked it!

Ann ~ that is what makes a great historical stand out in the crowd in my mind - the attention to historical detail. I know you know that!

nolene said...

The book sounds fascinating and I will look forward to reading it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...