Monday 18 October 2010

Character Spotlight ~ Janelle Mowery's Rebekah Weaver & Nate Kirkland

Rebekah & Nate

Be on the lookout for Janelle Mowery's name as you will be seeing it a lot, with two books available now and five more set to release in 2011!

Enjoy this insight into her characters from her second novel, Love Finds You in Silver City, Idaho:~

Brief physi
cal description

Rebekah Weaver is a young woman who has already been through great trauma in her tender years and bears the scars to prove it. An accident left her scarred on the left side of her body, including her cheek and neck. She could use her long light brown hair to cover it but has decided to try to be secure and confident in her 'new' body and keeps her hair pulled back and out of her light brown eyes as she works in her father's general store.

Nate Kirkland is the cliche tall, dark, and ruggedly handsome man, perfect for his job as a deputy marshal. But it's his light green eyes that grabs Rebekah's attention because they are such a sharp contrast to his dark looks, and the sorrow she sees in them makes her curious to find out the cause.

Actor/famous person

Rebekah - Keira Knightley


Nate - I don't know this actor's name but he's the perfect image for my vision
of Nate.

Strengths and
weaknesses

Rebekah's streng
th is her ability to bounce back quickly from pain and disappointment. She doesn't dwell on the bad but searches for the good in every person and situation, which can also be a weakness because it can lead her into trusting the wrong people.

Nate's strength is his determination. He wants to not just end the evil in the world but crush it completely, mainly because of what happened to his father and brother. He won't stop until he 'finds his man'. His weakness of dwelling in the past pain of his life sometimes gets in the way, skewing his judgment of others and misleading him into who he should and shouldn't trust.

Quirk (if any)


Rebekah's quirk is taki
ng under her wing any person or animal that doesn't seem quite 'normal'. There are a few of these 'characters' that Rebekah stands up for in the story.

Your inspiration for the character


My inspiration for Rebekah came from two different things. I went on a field trip with my son to a historical ranch where I learned that the second most common
cause of death for women was getting burned. They often cooked outside to keep the house from getting too heated during the day and the wind would blow their long skirts into the flames. If the burns didn't kill them immediately, most would eventually die from the infection that followed. The second incident that inspired me was when I accidentally burned my son with boiling water. I was headed toward the sink to drain spaghetti and he was behind me headed toward the sink to get some water. We collided. I know, this sounds like an awful situation to use but while he was healing, my mind often went to how he would deal with teasing or even explaining what had happened to him. Praise God, he bears no scars from that accident, not physically or emotionally, but it gave birth to this story.

Background to the story


Based on what I mentioned as my inspiration for the character, I had a plot in mind for the story. My editor gave me a short list of towns to use as my setting. After researching e
ach of them, I chose Silver City, Idaho because of it's rich background. A great deal of money was made from all of the gold and silver mines found in the Owyhee mountain range. And where there is so much money, evil flourishes. It's amazing what greed can make some do. And since the theme of this story is judging others, it seemed such a heavy topic, so I added some odd characters to add humor and lighten the storyline. As the saying goes, it takes all kinds to make a world, and I think I have enough variety in this story to make it interesting and to teach that we may not like the look or actions of others, but we can learn to love them by what's in their heart.

Janelle ~ it's great to have you here. Thanks for sharing about Nate and Rebekah :)


Relz Reviewz Extras

Visit Janelle's website

Buy Janelle's books at Amazon or Koorong


1 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

I've really enjoyed the Love Finds You in series.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...